Understand All Of The Options Available When Faced With Foreclosure
The current U.S. housing market and national financial crisis has caused untold stress and heartache for many American families. Foreclosure is one of the most devastating financial challenges that a family can face and one that many times can be avoided. The options available to Denver, Colorado-area residents for foreclosure are many. Following is a brief explanation of these solutions, including their benefits and drawbacks:
A reinstatement is the simplest solution for a foreclosure, however it is often the most difficult. The homeowner simply requests the total amount owed to the mortgage company to date and pays it. This solution does not require the lender's approval and will 'reinstate' a mortgage up to the day before the final foreclosure sale.
Benefit: Does not require the mortgage company or lender's approval. Drawback: Requires that a homeowner be able to pay all back payments, fines and fees.
Forbearance or Repayment Plan
A forbearance or repayment plan involves the homeowner negotiating with the mortgage company to allow them to repay back payments over a period of time. The homeowner typically makes their current mortgage payment in addition to a portion of the back payments they owe.
Benefit: Allows the homeowner to make back payments over time. Drawback: Requires that a homeowner be in a financial position to pay not only their current mortgage, but also a portion of the back payments owed. Some mortgage companies will require a homeowner to 'qualify' for forbearance.
A mortgage modification involves the reduction of one of the following: the interest rate on the loan, the principal balance of the loan, the term of the loan, or any combination of these. These typically result in a lower payment to the homeowner and a more affordable mortgage.
Benefit: Reduces the payment a homeowner is required to make on a monthly basis and may reduce the principal balance of the loan Drawback: Requires that a homeowner 'qualify' for the new payment and will often require full documentation. Lender has to be actively pursuing modifications.
Rent the Property
A homeowner who has a mortgage payment low enough that market rent will allow it to be paid, is able to convert their property to a rental and use the rental income to pay the mortgage.
Benefit: Allows homeowner to keep property indefinitely. Drawback: The issues that can arise with a rental property are many, and rent often does not cover the full cost of property ownership and maintenance.
Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure
Also known as a 'friendly foreclosure', a deed in lieu allows the homeowner to return the property to the lender rather than go through the foreclosure process. Lender approval is required for this option, and the homeowner must also vacate the property.
Benefit: Many times in a successful deed in lieu, the lender will forego their right to a deficiency judgment. Drawback: Requires that a homeowner vacate the property, and a deed in lieu may be reported to credit bureaus as a foreclosure.
Many have considered and marketed bankruptcy as a 'foreclosure solution,' but this is only true in some states and situations. If the homeowner has non-mortgage debts that cause a shortfall of paying their mortgage payments and a personal bankruptcy will eliminate these debts, this may be a viable solution.
Benefit: Does not require lender approval. Drawback: If a homeowner cannot afford their mortgage payment, a bankruptcy will only stall—not stop—the foreclosure process. Bankruptcy can be costly, is damaging to credit scores, and can only be declared once every seven years.
If a homeowner has sufficient equity in their property and their credit is still in good standing, they may be able to refinance their mortgage.
Benefit: In some cases, this will lower payments. Drawback: In today's market, a refinance will almost always raise mortgage payments, and is an expensive process.
Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (military personnel only)
If a member of the military is experiencing financial distress due to deployment, and that person can show that their debt was entered into prior to deployment, they may qualify for relief under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. The American Bar Association has a network of attorneys that will work with servicemembers in relation to qualifying for this relief.
Benefit: If qualified, this will lower payments on all consumer debt in addition to mortgage payments. Drawback: Must be active military to qualify.
Sell the Property
Homeowners with sufficient equity can list their property with a qualified agent that understands the foreclosure process in their area.
Benefit: Allows homeowner to avoid foreclosure and harvest some of their equity. Drawback: In many cases today, homeowners do not have sufficient equity to sell their property without negotiating a short sale (see next solution).
If a homeowner owes more on their property than it is currently worth, then they can hire a qualified real estate agent to market and sell their property through the negotiation of a short sale with their lender. This typically requires the property to be on the market and the homeowner must have a financial hardship to qualify. Hardship can be simply defined as a material change in the financial stability of the homeowner between the date of the home purchase and the date of the short sale negotiation. Acceptable hardships include but are not limited to: mortgage payment increase, job loss, divorce, excessive debt, forced or unplanned relocation, and more.
Benefit: A short sale allows the homeowner to avoid foreclosure and salvage some of their credit rating. This also keeps foreclosure off the individual's public record, and in many cases will allow the homeowner to avoid a deficiency judgment. Borrower may qualify for another mortgage in as little as 24 months (as opposed to five years for a foreclosure). Drawback: Short sales can be a trying process in which a homeowner is best served by contracting with a qualified real estate agent to guide the way.
This represents only a summary of some of the solutions available to homeowners facing foreclosure. Please call me today for a free confidential evaluation of your individual situation, property value, and possible options.
We are here to help!
- Ways to Clean Your Porcelain Sink Before You Sell Your Home
- Greeley Colorado Real Estate
- Home Impovement with a Bathroom Remodel
- Denver is Number 9 on the Highest Performing Major Metro Markets through November 2016
- Boulder Real Estate near CU Campus - A Savvy Investment
- Effects of Mortgage interest rates after Donald Trumps Election and how it will affect Denver local Real Estate Market
- New Listing Coming Soon! 11171 Bryant Ct. Westminster, CO 80234
- Recently Sold 11537 East Amherst Circle South Aurora, CO 80014
- Beautiful home for sale in Cottonwood Point Dr Fort Collins Colorado just below $1million
- Greeley Real Estate - Greeley Homes for sale
- 1 % Down Conventional Loan
- Benefits of living in energy efficient homes
- It’s a Good Time to Buy Real Estate with 97% LTV
- New Listing Coming Soon! 9063 Eldorado, Frederick CO 80505
- Boulder Real Estate
- Neighborhoods to Watch- Historic Downtown Loveland Homes
- About | Denver Real Estate Agent | Armstrongre.com
- Home Builder's Websites In Colorado
- Denver Real Estate Market
- Living in Fort Collins, Colorado
- What You Need To Know About Denver Relocation
- Is Your Home Insured For Everything You Think It Is?
- Its A Good Time To Buy Real Estate With 97 Percent Ltv
- Why An Occupancy Certificate Is Necessary Before Investing In A Property
- 5 Remodeling Projects: Better To Diy Or Hire A Pro?
- Boulder Horse Properties For Sale Offer Buyers The Best Of Both Worlds
- How To Prepare Homes For Sale
- How to Become A Successful Real Estate Agent
- Common Mistakes While Seeking A Commercial Mortgage Loan
- 6 Vital Things To Keep In Mind Before You Buy A House
- The Best Time Of The Year To Buy A Home
- How To Get Approved For A Home Loan
- Few Information You Must Pay Attention Prior To Your Real Estate Investments
- Factors That Play Key Role In Re Investment
- How To Sell Your Denver Probate House
- Buying A Home With A Backyard Playground
- Investing In Boulder Real Estate May Earn CU Parents An A+ In Personal Finance
- Top Places To Live- Loveland Colorado
- Cherry Creek North Real Estate
- Denver And Northern Colorado Golf Course Communities And Country Clubs
- President Obamas Reelection And The Denver Housing Market
- Denver Area Horse Properties And Equestrian Facilities For Sale
- Luxury Real Estate Market In Denver Is On The Rise
- Hip Urban Denver Neighborhoods
- Techniques To Disaster Proof Colorado Homes In The Wake Of Hurricane Sandy
- Peyton Mannings New Cherry Hills Village Home
- Wal-mart Opts Out Of New Congress Park Store At 9th And Colorado
- Great New Listing At 617 Valley View Rd In Loveland Colorado 80537
- Top Denver Luxury Neighborhoods
- Boulder Colorado Real Estate And Community
- Prime Time For Homeowners To Sell In The Denver Housing Market
- Westminster Real Estate and Community
- Historic Old Town Longmont - hub for Arts, Entertainment & Real Estate
- Bonnie Brae - Denvers Gem Of Residential Real Estate
- Townhome For Sale At Westbury Farms At Apple Valley In Westminster Colorado
- Home For Sale In Saddle Rock Ridge In Aurora Colorado
- New Brownstone Listing In Ridgegate Subdivision Located in Lone Tree Close To Park Meadows Mall
- Protect Your Outdoor Properties This Spring
- How To Start A Janitorial Service Business Cleaning Real Estate Properties
- FHA Mortgage Insurance Premiums Set To Rise Again In April
- Complete Information On Hud Guidelines On Mortgage And Real Estate
- Aurora Colorado Real Estate And Its Community
- Denver Luxury Real Estate- Cherry Creek
- Home Mortgage Refinance Are You Sure Of The Steps To Take
- Capitol Hill Denver -hub Of Historic Real Estate And Urban Culture
- Highlands Is Distinctly One Of Denver Most Culturally Rich And Lively Destinations
- Washington Park Denver Colorado- Denvers Historical Treasure And Modern Center Of Real Estate And Culture
- Denver Colorado Ranked As Third Fastest Selling City In Real Estate
- Mortgage Relief Fraud- Will You Be The Next Victim
- Short Sales In Denver- Why The Term Strategic Default Can Be Misleading
- Colorado Premier Apartment Locating Service
- Here Are Seven Reasons To Own Your Home Vs Rent Denver Colorado
- Thinking Of Buying A Home In Denver- Here Are 10 Questions To Ask Your Home Inspector
- Thinking Of Hiring A Real Estate Agent In Denver-here Are Some Good Questions To Ask
- Lenders Checklist- What Documents You Need To Get A Mortgage
- Thinking About Doing A Short Sale
- Specialty Mortgages- Risks And Rewards
- Buyers Market For Luxury Condos And Lofts In Downtown Denver
- Taking The Stress Out Of Buying A Home-Denver Real Estate
- 10 Ways To Prepare For Homeownership In Colorado
- Basic Tax Benifits To Home Ownership-Denver Real Estate
- A Look At Parker Colorado And Its Real Estate Market
- Denver Real Estate And Its Neighborhoods
- Fort Collins Real Estate- Reasons Why You Should Move To The Area
- Homes For Sale In The Hilltop And Crestmoor Park Area Of Denver Colorado
- Solving Your Mortgage Crisis Just Got Easier- 5 Steps For A Successful Short Sale
- Arvada Real Estate And Homes For Sale
- An Overview Of Cherry Creek Real Estate And Homes For Sale In The Area
- Local Denver Agent Releases New Report For Homeowners Seeking To Avoid Foreclosure
- Not Every Real Estate Agent Is A Realtor. Find Out Why You Should Hire A Realtor To Sell Your Next Home In The Denver Area
- Learn About The Pros And Cons To Flipping Houses In Denver
- Colorado Home Foreclosure Update How To Get A Good Foreclosure Property In Colorado
- Greenwood Village Real Estate Denver Colorado
- Lakeside Cross County Oregon Real Estate For Sale
- Real Estate In Parker Colorado Outside Of Denver City Limits
- Aurora Homes For Sale Aurora Denver Real Estate Homes
- Castle Rock Denver Colorado Real Estate
- Fannie Mae Launches A New Video To Help Educate Homeowners About Options To Avoid Foreclosure
- Cherry Creek Denver Real Estate Market
- The Hidden Options Of Real Estate Auctions And Foreclosures
- A Profile Denver Neighborhood
- Luxury Living In Castle Rock And Greenwood Village Colorado
- Denver REO Properties- Still An Abundance
- Understanding The Basics Of A Short Sale
- Although The Rest Of The Nation See A Decline In Real Estate Prices,Denver market Seems to Outshine The Rest
- How To Pass And Study For Denver Colorado Real Estate Exams
- Rent To Own Agreement In Denver Colorado
- New Construction Sales Still Down in Denver
- Denver Luxury Real Estate Market On The Rise
- Big Deal In Denver Colorado Multifamily Apartment Market
- Denver Colorado Real Estate Market
- The Denver Economy