Specialty Mortgages- Risks And Rewards
In high-priced housing markets, it can be difficult to afford a home. That’s why a growing number of home buyers are forgoing traditional fixed-rate mortgages and standard adjustable-rate mortgages and instead opting for a specialty mortgage that lets them “stretch” their income so they can qualify for a larger loan.
But before you choose one of these mortgages, make sure you understand the risks and how they work.
Specialty mortgages often begin with a low introductory interest rate or payment plan — a “teaser”— but the monthly mortgage payments are likely to increase a lot in the future. Some are “low documentation” mortgages that come with easier standards for qualifying, but also higher interest rates or higher fees. Some lenders will loan you 100 percent or more of the home’s value, but these mortgages can present a big financial risk if the value of the house drops.
Specialty Mortgages Can:
• Pose a greater risk that you won’t be able to afford the mortgage payment in the future, compared to fixed rate mortgages and traditional adjustable rate mortgages.
• Have monthly payments that increase by as much as 50 percent or more when the introductory period ends.
• Cause your loan balance (the amount you still owe) to get larger each month instead of smaller.
Common Types of Specialty Mortgages:
• Interest-Only Mortgages: Your monthly mortgage payment only covers the interest you owe on the loan for the first 5 to 10 years of the loan, and you pay nothing to reduce the total amount you borrowed (this is called the “principal”). After the interest-only period, you start paying higher monthly payments that cover both the interest and principal that must be repaid over the remaining term of the loan.
• Negative Amortization Mortgages: Your monthly payment is less than the amount of interest you owe on the loan. The unpaid interest gets added to the loan’s principal amount, causing the total amount you owe to increase each month instead of getting smaller.
• Option Payment ARM Mortgages: You have the option to make different types of monthly payments with this mortgage. For example, you may make a minimum payment that is less than the amount needed to cover the interest and increases the total amount of your loan; an interest-only payment, or payments calculated to pay off the loan over either 30 years or 15 years.
• 40-Year Mortgages: You pay off your loan over 40 years, instead of the usual 30 years. While this reduces your monthly payment and helps you qualify to buy a home, you pay off the balance of your loan much more slowly and end up paying much more interest.
Questions to Consider Before Choosing a Specialty Mortgage:
• How much can my monthly payments increase and how soon can these increases happen?
• Do I expect my income to increase or do I expect to move before my payments go up?
• Will I be able to afford the mortgage when the payments increase?
• Am I paying down my loan balance each month, or is it staying the same or even increasing?
• Will I have to pay a penalty if I refinance my mortgage or sell my house?
• What is my goal in buying this property? Am I considering a riskier mortgage to buy a more expensive house than I can realistically afford?
To learn more about which loan option is best for your current situation please contact us here
or contact my preferred Lenders with Security Mortgage Inc.
Matt Sprenger Kyle Novak
Security Mortgage Inc. Security Mortgage Inc.
(970) 214-4133 Direct (970) 988-0054 Direct
Home for Sale in denver, Colorado
- Ways to Clean Your Porcelain Sink Before You Sell Your Home
- Greeley Colorado Real Estate
- Home Impovement with a Bathroom Remodel
- Denver is Number 9 on the Highest Performing Major Metro Markets through November 2016
- Boulder Real Estate near CU Campus - A Savvy Investment
- Effects of Mortgage interest rates after Donald Trumps Election and how it will affect Denver local Real Estate Market
- New Listing Coming Soon! 11171 Bryant Ct. Westminster, CO 80234
- Recently Sold 11537 East Amherst Circle South Aurora, CO 80014
- Beautiful home for sale in Cottonwood Point Dr Fort Collins Colorado just below $1million
- Greeley Real Estate - Greeley Homes for sale
- 1 % Down Conventional Loan
- Benefits of living in energy efficient homes
- It’s a Good Time to Buy Real Estate with 97% LTV
- New Listing Coming Soon! 9063 Eldorado, Frederick CO 80505
- Boulder Real Estate
- Neighborhoods to Watch- Historic Downtown Loveland Homes
- About | Denver Real Estate Agent | Armstrongre.com
- Home Builder's Websites In Colorado
- Denver Real Estate Market
- Living in Fort Collins, Colorado
- What You Need To Know About Denver Relocation
- Is Your Home Insured For Everything You Think It Is?
- Its A Good Time To Buy Real Estate With 97 Percent Ltv
- Why An Occupancy Certificate Is Necessary Before Investing In A Property
- 5 Remodeling Projects: Better To Diy Or Hire A Pro?
- Boulder Horse Properties For Sale Offer Buyers The Best Of Both Worlds
- How To Prepare Homes For Sale
- How to Become A Successful Real Estate Agent
- Common Mistakes While Seeking A Commercial Mortgage Loan
- 6 Vital Things To Keep In Mind Before You Buy A House
- The Best Time Of The Year To Buy A Home
- How To Get Approved For A Home Loan
- Few Information You Must Pay Attention Prior To Your Real Estate Investments
- Factors That Play Key Role In Re Investment
- How To Sell Your Denver Probate House
- Buying A Home With A Backyard Playground
- Investing In Boulder Real Estate May Earn CU Parents An A+ In Personal Finance
- Top Places To Live- Loveland Colorado
- Cherry Creek North Real Estate
- Denver And Northern Colorado Golf Course Communities And Country Clubs
- President Obamas Reelection And The Denver Housing Market
- Denver Area Horse Properties And Equestrian Facilities For Sale
- Luxury Real Estate Market In Denver Is On The Rise
- Hip Urban Denver Neighborhoods
- Techniques To Disaster Proof Colorado Homes In The Wake Of Hurricane Sandy
- Peyton Mannings New Cherry Hills Village Home
- Wal-mart Opts Out Of New Congress Park Store At 9th And Colorado
- Great New Listing At 617 Valley View Rd In Loveland Colorado 80537
- Top Denver Luxury Neighborhoods
- Boulder Colorado Real Estate And Community
- Prime Time For Homeowners To Sell In The Denver Housing Market
- Westminster Real Estate and Community
- Historic Old Town Longmont - hub for Arts, Entertainment & Real Estate
- Bonnie Brae - Denvers Gem Of Residential Real Estate
- Townhome For Sale At Westbury Farms At Apple Valley In Westminster Colorado
- Home For Sale In Saddle Rock Ridge In Aurora Colorado
- New Brownstone Listing In Ridgegate Subdivision Located in Lone Tree Close To Park Meadows Mall
- Protect Your Outdoor Properties This Spring
- How To Start A Janitorial Service Business Cleaning Real Estate Properties
- FHA Mortgage Insurance Premiums Set To Rise Again In April
- Complete Information On Hud Guidelines On Mortgage And Real Estate
- Aurora Colorado Real Estate And Its Community
- Denver Luxury Real Estate- Cherry Creek
- Home Mortgage Refinance Are You Sure Of The Steps To Take
- Capitol Hill Denver -hub Of Historic Real Estate And Urban Culture
- Highlands Is Distinctly One Of Denver Most Culturally Rich And Lively Destinations
- Washington Park Denver Colorado- Denvers Historical Treasure And Modern Center Of Real Estate And Culture
- Denver Colorado Ranked As Third Fastest Selling City In Real Estate
- Mortgage Relief Fraud- Will You Be The Next Victim
- Short Sales In Denver- Why The Term Strategic Default Can Be Misleading
- Colorado Premier Apartment Locating Service
- Here Are Seven Reasons To Own Your Home Vs Rent Denver Colorado
- Thinking Of Buying A Home In Denver- Here Are 10 Questions To Ask Your Home Inspector
- Thinking Of Hiring A Real Estate Agent In Denver-here Are Some Good Questions To Ask
- Lenders Checklist- What Documents You Need To Get A Mortgage
- Thinking About Doing A Short Sale
- Buyers Market For Luxury Condos And Lofts In Downtown Denver
- Taking The Stress Out Of Buying A Home-Denver Real Estate
- 10 Ways To Prepare For Homeownership In Colorado
- Basic Tax Benifits To Home Ownership-Denver Real Estate
- A Look At Parker Colorado And Its Real Estate Market
- Denver Real Estate And Its Neighborhoods
- Fort Collins Real Estate- Reasons Why You Should Move To The Area
- Homes For Sale In The Hilltop And Crestmoor Park Area Of Denver Colorado
- Solving Your Mortgage Crisis Just Got Easier- 5 Steps For A Successful Short Sale
- Arvada Real Estate And Homes For Sale
- An Overview Of Cherry Creek Real Estate And Homes For Sale In The Area
- Local Denver Agent Releases New Report For Homeowners Seeking To Avoid Foreclosure
- Not Every Real Estate Agent Is A Realtor. Find Out Why You Should Hire A Realtor To Sell Your Next Home In The Denver Area
- Learn About The Pros And Cons To Flipping Houses In Denver
- Colorado Home Foreclosure Update How To Get A Good Foreclosure Property In Colorado
- Greenwood Village Real Estate Denver Colorado
- Lakeside Cross County Oregon Real Estate For Sale
- Real Estate In Parker Colorado Outside Of Denver City Limits
- Aurora Homes For Sale Aurora Denver Real Estate Homes
- Castle Rock Denver Colorado Real Estate
- Fannie Mae Launches A New Video To Help Educate Homeowners About Options To Avoid Foreclosure
- Cherry Creek Denver Real Estate Market
- The Hidden Options Of Real Estate Auctions And Foreclosures
- Understand All Of The Options Available When Faced With Foreclosure
- A Profile Denver Neighborhood
- Luxury Living In Castle Rock And Greenwood Village Colorado
- Denver REO Properties- Still An Abundance
- Understanding The Basics Of A Short Sale
- Although The Rest Of The Nation See A Decline In Real Estate Prices,Denver market Seems to Outshine The Rest
- How To Pass And Study For Denver Colorado Real Estate Exams
- Rent To Own Agreement In Denver Colorado
- New Construction Sales Still Down in Denver
- Denver Luxury Real Estate Market On The Rise
- Big Deal In Denver Colorado Multifamily Apartment Market
- Denver Colorado Real Estate Market
- The Denver Economy